It doesn’t happen often, but when it rains in Newport Beach, the options for escaping the wet weather are endless. From indoor water parks to top-tier boutiques, Newport Beach has a deluge of rainy day activities for every type of vacationer!
For Family-Friendly Activities, Try These Rainy Day Adventures:
- Visit the Discovery Cube: The Discovery Cube is a science and technology museum in Santa Ana that is perfect for kids and adults alike. With hands-on exhibits and interactive displays, it’s a great place to spend a rainy day learning and having fun.
- Try an escape room: Escape rooms are the perfect activity for any size group. There are a number of escape room locations close to Newport Beach where you can test your problem-solving skills and try to “escape” from a series of puzzles and challenges. Our favorite company is Hidden Donkey! Their rooms are insanely immersive.
- Go go-kart racing: K1 Speed is an indoor go-kart racing facility in the neighboring town of Irvine. With electric go-karts and a state-of-the-art track, it’s a great option for adrenaline junkies looking for some indoor fun.
- Visit Great Wolf Lodge: Great Wolf Lodge is an indoor water park and resort located in nearby Garden Grove. With slides, pools, and water attractions, it’s a great option for families looking to get wet on their own terms!
For A Bit of Culture & Retail Therapy, Put These Rainy Day Activities on your Calendar:
- Go shopping: Newport Beach is home to a number of shopping centers and boutiques, making it a great place to shop no matter the weather. Lido Marina Village is our go-to spot when we want a cozy afternoon. They’ve got one-of-a-kind boutiques and high-end favorites like The Great, Jenni Kayne, and LoveShackFancy. We also love stopping in the Lido Village Bookstore while sipping on a coffee from Herst. For more shopping destinations, click here.
- Catch a movie: What better way to spend a rainy day than by watching a movie? The Lot in Newport Beach screens all of the latest releases. (It’s also conveniently located at Fashion Island, another must-visit shopping destination). So grab some popcorn and sit back and enjoy the show.
- Check out a show at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts: The Segerstrom Center for the Arts is a performing arts center located in nearby Costa Mesa. With a variety of shows and performances throughout the year, it’s a great place to go on a rainy day to see some live entertainment.
- Hit up the local Happy Hours: Escape the wet by visiting our local watering holes. Sip on mai tai’s at Billy’s by the Beach, enjoy the lively ambiance of Stag Bar + Kitchen, or unwind at the chic Fable & Spirit. Then, end the day with some live music at The Blue Beet, a small music venue right at the Newport Pier.